Do you want colors and good visibility or hardcore Gothic theme and darkness?

7.05.2008

Too Much Color For Fans?

Diablo has always been a series masked with darkness and filled with a Gothic theme. A portion of the fan base was unhappy when they saw all the color and lack of Gothic theme in the game play video. An online petition has been started by some unhappy fans to show Blizzard that the fans want the classic Diablo style. While I can see their point, I believe the game will be better with color. From the artwork we have seen, it is apparent that there will be areas of the World of Sanctuary that, well, look like death. However, many advances have been made in graphics since Diablo 2 and Blizzard should change their style to utilize them. Obviously this game will be 3D, but still have the ¾ overhead view. I think the only way to fill the graphic potential is to use the full variety of hues and saturations to make many environments with unique atmospheres. This could amplify the feeling of the game as the story meanders through Sanctuary and it's attitude fluctuates. In Diablo 2, the only gratitude us adventurers received was the excitement in the voice of an NPC, often old man Cain's. Times have changed and Blizzard can provide us with a more enthralling gaming experience this time.

Above is one of the images posted on the petition site as an example of what to change.

They've added a small light radius to the hero and it removes all light from 50% of the screen. If I'm playing a game, I want to be able to see what is on my screen. There is no point in covering up half the screen just to achieve a dark feel. If players want this, I recommend Blizzard add a couple options for players to add a tiny light radius and drop their gamma a lot.


The other change is the cyan glow to a saturated magenta (assuming they are using CMYK and not RGB, still the same adjustment). I am less sure about this due to lack of experience, but I believe it would also be easy to apply a client option to change this. Perhaps several themes available from vibrant to dead Goth.
I believe these options would be easy to include and please the full audience.

However, I still understand the desire for the classic Goth theme which has gone unmatched in gaming. I'd like to know what you think, poll away.

No comments: